Trump election interference case in Georgia dismissed

Trump election interference case in Georgia dismissed

Spread the love

Election interference charges in Georgia against second-term Republican President Donald Trump were motioned for dismissal Wednesday by the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council.

In response, the president later in the day said again the 2020 election was stolen. On social media, the second-term Republican called the case the “Fani Willis Witch Hunt” and accused Democrats of orchestrating it.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis had sought to prosecute Trump and his allies, charging them with trying to overturn the state’s election results. Trump became the first president since 1992 to lose, topped by Joe Biden 306-232 in the electoral college votes and 51.3%-46.9% in popular vote.

Willis last year was disqualified from the case after it was revealed she had a romantic relationship with the lead prosecutor Nathan Wade.

Peter Skandalakis, executive director of the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia, moved to dismiss the case after taking over the prosecution. He appointed himself, he said, after no other prosecutor would take the case.

Fulton County Judge Scott McAfee signed the order on Wednesday.

In his post, Trump described Willis’ pursuit as an “illegal, unconstitutional and un-American hoax.”

“This case should have never been brought in the first place,” the president wrote.

In a rambling 105-word sentence, he challenged Willis’ ethics; Wade’s credentials for helping the prosecution; Wade’s honesty; and use of taxpayer money by Willis and Wade. He said Willis and Wade acted at the behest of Biden.

Trump has not presented evidence the 2020 election results were rigged. He said Democrats attacked him for telling the “truth” that the election was “stolen.”

The president added, “We have to hold responsible those who attempted to destroy our legal system and nation itself as they tried to use it to silence and imprison political opponents for protecting our country, and exercising our First Amendment rights. The few remaining Democrat witch hunts will soon meet the same embarrassing end.”

The Georgia election interference case was the last pending criminal prosecution against Trump related to the 2020 election. A federal case against him was dismissed after he won reelection last year.

Skandalakis took over the Georgia case after Willis lost a state Supreme Court bid to keep it. He said he could not find another prosecutor willing to advance it, and said he moved to drop it “to serve the interest of justice and promote judicial finality.”

“For all remaining defendants, this disposition meets the criteria for the Georgia Crime Information Center to Restrict access to the criminal history for this arrest…,” the motion said.

Skandalakis said he would have no further comments.

Richard Rose, who leads Communities United for Justice, is one of four Georgians who sued to remove Republican Lt. Gov. Burt Jones from holding office after Jones was accused of scheming to replace Biden’s votes with votes for Trump. Skandalakis announced last year that Jones would not be charged.

Rose told The Center Square in a recent interview that based on that decision, he was doubtful Skandalakis would move forward on the election interference case.

“He’ll come up with some reason,” Rose said. “You should have read his rationale for not having prosecuted Burt Jones. He said he was a nice guy, he didn’t mean any harm. Just silliness.”

Steve Sadow, lead counsel in the election interference case, said the “case should have never been brought.”

“The political persecution of President Trump by disqualified DA Fani Willis is finally over,” Steve Sadow said in a statement. “A fair and impartial prosecutor has put an end to this lawfare.”

Georgia Senate Minority Leader Harold Jones II, D-Augusta, called the dismissal a “setback for justice.”

“I am deeply disappointed in today’s decision, which allows President Donald Trump to evade accountability for his clear violations of Georgia law,” Jones said in a statement. “By dismissing this case, the court has enabled him and his coconspirators to avoid responsibility for their coordinated effort to overturn Georgia’s election results and steal the 2020 election.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

frankfort-school-district-161.2-e1754272831494

Summit Hill 161 Takes First Step Toward 2025 Tax Levy, Estimates 4.99% Increase

Frankfort School District 161 Meeting | November 19, 2025 Article Summary: The Summit Hill School District 161 Board of Education has formally begun its annual tax levy process, unanimously passing...
Will County Board Graphic.01

Frankfort Turns to County for Wildlife & Dangerous Animal Control

Will County Board Meeting | November 2025 Article Summary: The Village of Frankfort has entered into a two-year agreement with Will County Animal Protection Services to handle calls regarding bats...
joliet junior college foundation

JJC Foundation Director Kristin Mulvey to Retire After 25 Years of Transformative Leadership

Joliet Junior College Meeting | November 12, 2025 Article Summary:Kristin Mulvey, the longtime Executive Director of Institutional Advancement and the JJC Foundation, was honored by the Board of Trustees as...
Attack foiled in Ft. Worth day before National Guard troops shot in WDC

Attack foiled in Ft. Worth day before National Guard troops shot in WDC

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Another Afghan-related terrorist attack was foiled one day before two National Guardsmen were shot in Washington, D.C., federal authorites said Saturday. The alleged perpetrators were...
Hundreds of flights canceled in Chicago as winter storm wreaks havoc

Hundreds of flights canceled in Chicago as winter storm wreaks havoc

By Dan McCaleb | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – More than 1,000 flights were canceled or delayed at Chicago's airports Saturday as a winter storm threatened...
under armor logo

Lincoln-Way 210 Switches to Under Armour for Athletic Apparel

Lincoln-Way Community High School District 210 Meeting | November 20, 2025 Article Summary: The Lincoln-Way District 210 Board of Education has approved a new 3.5-year agreement with BSN and Under Armour...
Frankfort School District 157-C.1

Frankfort School District 157-C Earns State-Level Governance Award

Frankfort School District 157-C Meeting | October 2025 Article Summary: The Frankfort School District 157-C Board of Education has been named a recipient of the 2025 School Board Governance Recognition...
Will County Logo Graphic

Crete “Group Care” Home Approved for Senior Living

Will County Board Meeting | November 2025 Article Summary: The Will County Board unanimously approved a special use permit for a senior group care home in Crete Township. The facility...
Meeting-Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Frankfort Park District for October 28, 2025

Frankfort Park District Meeting | October 28, 2025 The Frankfort Park District Board held a special meeting on Tuesday, October 28, 2025, where the primary focus was a decision to...

WATCH: IL legislator wants more transparency for taxpayer funded credit cards

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Democratic state legislator is looking to require more transparency for how local governments in Illinois use...
Fiscal Fallout: States continue to increase budgets despite end of COVID emergency

Fiscal Fallout: States continue to increase budgets despite end of COVID emergency

By Arthur KaneThe Center Square States around the country, hooked on billions of federal dollars that flooded in during COVID, don't want the party to end. But the pandemic subsided...
Colorado lost record $24 million to data scams in 2024

Colorado lost record $24 million to data scams in 2024

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square Colorado residents lost a record high $24 million to personal data scams in 2024, according to a data forensics firm. That was four times the...
Trump vows to pause migration after D.C. shooting

Trump vows to pause migration after D.C. shooting

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump said Thursday he will pause migration from some countries following the shooting of two National Guard members near the White House. The...
Assaults against ICE up 1,153% in 11 months

Assaults against ICE up 1,153% in 11 months

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Assaults against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers are up 1,153% in 11 months, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. As ICE officers...
Illinois quick hits: Deer harvest totals; IHSA voting begins

Illinois quick hits: Deer harvest totals; IHSA voting begins

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Deer harvest totals Illinois hunters harvested a preliminary total of 51,409 deer during the first weekend of the state’s firearm deer...